004: How Social Entrepreneurs Think About Social Media
Listen Here and Now about Social Media
We all have power and the responsibility to use that power for the benefit of others.
Quotable of the Week
“With great power comes great responsibility.” – Spiderman’s Uncle Ben
We all have power and the responsibility to use that power for the benefit of others. We relate this to social media during the main segment.
Highlights from the Episode
- How Facebook became a spy tool for Amanda during college.
- How social media uses your data and why that’s both a good and bad thing.
- “If you’re not paying for something, you’re the product being sold.” – Internet Meme. No human should ever be a product being sold.
- What the idealized version of ourselves we post means for our friends and future archeologists.
- Here’s a link to the article Brandon mentions about the coffee shop that closed because of her daughter’s post.
- How social media levels the marketing playing field. (or does it still?)
- How “Protecting the user experience” gives value-providing ads priority. (or does it, post-2016 election?)
- The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is using some of that paid advertizing for good. See their Facebook page for more.
- How are we kidding with all this??? The paid ad dollars keep social media free for the users. That’s a good enough reason for a lot of people.
- Yet, remember, social media companies are still BUSINESSES.
- Where we stand: it boils down to how the users use the platforms.
- The rule of thumb Amanda’s dad taught her that leads her not to post as much anymore.
- How social media has the transformative power to alter our offline behavior – in a positive way. We share some practical ways to make this happen.
- A great reminder of what really matters – making money and impact, which requires much deeper engagement in relationships.