008: Beyond Giving Tuesday – Carrying the Spirit of the Holidays Throughout the Holidays
Listen Here and Now for Beyond Giving Tuesday
We discuss going beyond Giving Tuesday and the transactional in your business relationships. We share 5 ways to build true friendships this holiday season.
Quotable of the Week
“Idealistic as it may sound, altruism should be the driving force in business, not just competition and a desire for wealth.” -Dalai Lama
This quotation should make you feel right on track in your activist business because you are!
Highlights from the Episode
- This episode airs on Giving Tuesday 2017 after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday.
- Ancient philosophers defined friendship not about giving and receiving but more about mutual benefit.
- With those you work with in your business, you might be the recipient or the giver or both.
- The best relationships, I believe, exist because the people in the relationship come together to accomplish something bigger than either could achieve on their own.
- A sense of purpose and mission creates relationships that last even when the “transactional value” disappears.
- The holidays are a great time to go beyond the transactional and make the relationships in our businesses more authentically “relational.”
- You don’t HAVE to do any of this but it can go a long way and cost you little.
- We have 5 ways to remind your supporters, fans, customers, employees, and everyone that you’re in this activist business together.
- Bring at least 1 interaction back to that higher purpose of your business – the change you wish to see in the world.
- Ban spending money.
- Offer a special deal that keeps giving throughout the year. Check out the Rank & File Article with the juicy details about the coffee shop membership program we’ve run since 2012.
- Create a campaign all around the difference you all made this year, together.
- Create a reminder for yourself that you’ll see regularly.
- There are plenty of other ways to make this season more than just giving and receiving.
- Hopefully, these 5 have sparked your imagination.
- The most important thing is to ACT. Decide right now something you will do to bring the spirit of the holidays to life in your business.
- Share in the comments below what you are doing to go beyond Giving Tuesday!