012: 8 Ways to Make IT Happen in 2018
Listen Here and Now for Our 8 Ways to Make IT Happen
We break down 8 ways. See which ones inspire and encourage you as we go into the New Year!
Quotable of the Week
“In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or back into safety.” -Abraham Maslow
You have a choice this New Year – to grow or to stay the same. Step forward into self-actualization on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. This may require stepping out of your safe place. Yet, you need to step forward to fulfill your purpose.
Highlights from the Episode
- This is the 3rd in a series of year-end, year-beginning episodes. Check out the first 2 episodes in the series: 010: Pivot or 180 Change? How to Determine What Your Business Needs and 011: Forget Resolutions, Set a 2018 Business Goal You’ll Actually Accomplish.
- I’m assuming you’ve decided on a single overarching goal for 2018. Keep your goal in mind as we go.
- Important Note: These 8 are all positive actions you can take.
1. Stay focused even when things get hard.
- Keep your goal your main thing. You might change strategies to reach your goal but don’t give up so easily on your goal.
- Especially if you followed our step-by-step process in the last episode, you should feel 100% confident in your goal at this point.
- But in a couple weeks or a couple months, you might not feel so confident.
- This is when the average person gives up or reduces their goal.
- You are not the average person. Stay focused. Update your strategy but do NOT give up.
2. Spend time daydreaming about reaching your goal.
- Picture what it will be like to cross the finish line.
- Daydream now before you get into the thick of things to help develop the strategies you should take to get to the finish line.
- Daydream later to help you stay motivated and determined to reach your goal.
3. Create an artistic reminder of your goal.
- Maybe it’s like a vision board or a photo. Maybe it’s something you paint or draw yourself.
- Put it in a prominent place.
- It could even be something you create throughout the year. Like every time you hit a milestone you add a piece to the artwork.
4. Break down your goal into milestones.
- Where will you be in 6 months? How about 3 months? What will it look like to see the first fruit of going after your goal?
- This can help with developing action steps to reach your goal and toward tracking your progress.
- Having clear smaller indicators along the way keeps you motivated toward the larger, longer term goal for the year.
5. Scientifically track your progress.
- Measure your progress weekly.
- You MUST have a measurable goal. Make sure you figure out the way you will measure it over the year on a regular basis.
- For us, every Monday we check in on our goals and how we’re progressing toward them.
- One interesting thing about numbers is that they are divisible. You can divide your number by 52 (the number of weeks in a year) to see how you’re tracking toward your goal.
6. Commit to an accountability strategy that will actually work for you.
- This is probably NOT asking your best friend, life partner, or business partner to keep you accountable.
- I highly suggest a third-party like a coach to keep you accountable. Maybe even check out this website for an online accountability strategy. You might also try a mastermind group.
- Especially at the beginning of the year, daily or weekly accountability can be really good for getting a jumpstart on reaching your goal.
7. Share your goal strategically with those most important to you.
- Ask them specifically for the support you’d like from them.
- #5 was about getting accountability that works. This is not about accountability. This is about your support system.
- Maybe your friends and family need to know that you’ll have a particularly busy season and you’ll need some extra grace then.
- Maybe it’s the other way around and you want to limit your work more so you can spend more time with your friends and family. You can tell them to expect more hangout time.
- Whatever it is, when you share your goal with others, share how it will affect them and how they can support you in it.
8. We’d love to strategize with you.
- We want to make sure you accomplish your goal and know you can reach it. We have learned from experience that sharing your goal with someone else outside your circle makes you more likely to accomplish it. One of us would love to schedule a time to chat on the phone with you about your goal. We’re both certified coaches and know how to review your goal for the year and help strategize your action plan.
- To schedule your call visit businessactivistentrepreneur.com/20. At the link, you’ll choose a time from what’s available on our calendar. Then, one of us will call you at that time. Just be sure to choose a time far enough in advance that you can do the 5 steps prior to the call. It’s all confidential and complimentary so get signed up at the link today! I look forward to talking with you then.