016: How not to be slimy and still make money (the HeArt of selling)
Listen Here and Now for 5 Selling Mindset Shifts
The heart and art of selling without being slimy in 5 mindset shifts. Make these mindset shifts and make more money.
Quotable of the Week
“If people like you, they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you, they’ll do business with you.” – Zig Ziglar
Brandon shares his story of going on sales calls with his mom growing up. They would even listen to Zig Ziglar cassette tapes in the car between calls. Perhaps Brandon is better at sales than Amanda because of that experience growing up and learning to build trust with people.
Highlights from the Episode
- Amanda also shares what she learned about sales from Brandon convincing her to date him.
- What we’ve learned about sales hasn’t come from a corporate environment. It’s come from our personal experience outside of work and within our entrepreneurial experience.
- Rather than worrying about the latest changes to Facebook’s algorithm. Let’s go back to some of the basics of selling.
Selling Mindset Shift #1: Sell because you know it’s the best way to serve. You have to believe in your product. [7 min 40 sec]
- Amanda made a promise to herself to always sell to those who might benefit from what she’s selling. That means she has to get to know people in order to know if they would benefit.
- You can’t always serve and serve and serve. You have to get to the point where you actually “pop the question.”
Selling Mindset Shift #2: People buy your product or service because they trust you. Sales is built on trust. [9 min 33 sec]
- This goes back to the Zig Ziglar quotation we started with.
- The more personal your marketing, the more you build trust so that the sales process goes more smoothly.
Selling Mindset Shift #3: Don’t say “no” for people. [11 min 5 sec]
- Not asking is saying “no” for people. Let people say “no” for themselves.
- Amanda likes to think about sales like inviting people to a party, especially for an activist business.
- If you don’t ask, it’s an automatic “no.”
Selling Mindset Shift #4: Practice empathy. [13 min 45 sec]
- Ask yourself, “As your prospective customer, how would I want to receive this information?”
- This is a big reason to never make cold calls. I’ll share an alternative to cold calls next week.
- Brandon shares how NOT to do this based on the sales people we’ve encountered.
Selling Mindset Shift #5: Persistence. [16 min 7 sec]
- Don’t give up after the first “no” or the first 100 “no”s. There’s a lot your can learn from “no.”
- Also be persistent until you get a clear “yes” or “no.” Set expectation for what the follow-up looks like.
Wrap Up [18 min 0 sec]
Those are the 5 mindset shifts about selling we have for you today. If I were to recap and reiterate what I believe is the most important it’s this: sales is built on trust. Build trust as much as possible before trying to sell. Sell to those you know trust you. Trust your prospective customer too. Allow them to say no for themselves.
If you want to know more about how to improve the sales side of your business, we invite you to check out Business Activist Academy. In January, we’re talking about validating your idea through sales. In February, we’re going to do a deep dive into the basics of selling. This is the perfect time to join the Academy if you know what you’re passionate about and you’re clear on your strengths but you haven’t figured out how to make money or how to make lots of money creating the change you wish to see in the world. We would love to welcome you into the tribe that’s forming. All the details are at businessactivistentrepreneur.com/academy.