027: Mark iMparts a Money Memoir
Listen Here and Now for our First Interview Episode… a Money Memoir
In this episode we interview Mark Willis as he shares his money memoir. Check out Mark’s podcast “Not Your Average Financial Podcast.”
Quotable of the Week
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” — Marianne Williamson
Highlights from the Money Memoir Episode
What did you learn about money from your parents?
- Mark tells a story of taking the money he saved in a paper bag to the local bank.
What was your relationship with money during college and graduate school?
- Managing money wasn’t something that was talked about, even when studying organizational development at a seminary.
- Learning about money came from an outside desire to figure out what to do with six figures of student loan debt.
What made you decide to do what you’re doing today?
- Check out the PBS documentary Mark recommends: The Ascent of Money. (Watch the 4 hour UK version here.)
- Mark tells a story of first hearing about a strategy that he heard about but was skeptical. He researched for 7 months and it eventually helped him break free from debt and the banking system!
- It started with an hour turning point.
- “We all arrive at a paradigm shift slowly but then all at once.”
- This is all about how you think. Your relationship to money and how you think about it is the most important.
- Our stories with money start with what’s going on inside our head. [Check out last week’s episode for money mythbusing and mindset shifts to make.]
What are some parting pieces of advice you’d give to the activist entrepreneurs listening?
- Be careful what you wish for. Being faithful in one direction will create results.
- Find out what you really want your impact to be and work backward from there. Think 4 generations from now.
Time to take action
We’d love to hear about your financial goals and concerns. Schedule a 15-minute call here.
In fact, we offer a complementary financial analysis. To get started, visit businessactivistentrepreneur.com/firststep or text BAEFinancial to 44222.